Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls


Almost every morning, our cinnamon rolls were gone in less than one hour after opening the doors. People would drive from all over the area on a saturday to eat them. They are soft & gooey & absolutely delicious! I am not a very experienced baker, unlike my husband, and I can make these taste just like the way we use to make them at our shop. So if I can do this, anyone can! I will never forget being so tired of working 18 hours a day 6 days a week. One morning as I was walking into the bakery to open the front doors, the sun was coming up and I smelled my Grandma Fanny's kitchen .....it was the smell of our cinnamon rolls bellowing out the door. My Grandma Fanny was famous for her cinnamon rolls and I thought at that moment it was her saying..."Keep up the hard work. Hang in there!" I hope these will fill your kitchen with sweet smells & possibly memories of your childhood. Enjoy!

Village Baking Co. Cinnamon Rolls
3 oz. Butter (1/2 stick)
6 1/2 tbs sugar
1 egg
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cup milk

Cream butter & sugar in mixing bowl. Add one egg. Switch to dough hook and add flour, yeast & milk. Put on slow speed for 4 minutes and then on second speed for another 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, put towel over it & let ferment for 2 hours. After fermentation, roll out dough, pour 1 /4 cup of melted butter on dough & sprinkle sugar & cinnamon generously. Roll dough into log, cut in 2-3" pieces & place in greased dish. Bake at 350 until top is golden brown.

Icing:
Bring 1-2 tbs of water to boil. Pour into bowl add 1 to 2 cups of powdered sugar. Whisk until made into icing. Take knife & spread over rolls.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! And you're sharing your recipe?!

    God bless you all!

    Donna-Marie

    ReplyDelete