Friday, May 7, 2010

Saturday Markets

Farmers Markets- May 8th
White Rock, Coppell, Keller, McKinney-Chesnut Square, Frisco, Austin-Barton Creek

No Farmers. No Bread.
By Kim Cooper
Thank heavens for our wheat farmers in America. If it weren't for them, none of us would have bread on the table. Clint and I both come from a long line of farmers. My great grandfather settled the farm and ranch, in Hansford County, where I was raised and where golden wheat still grows strong. I spent summers riding in the combine with my dad and then driving the old ford truck full of wheat to Bernstein Elevators. My favorite part of the day was getting an ice cold bottle of coca cola from the elevator and savoring every sip on the way back to the field. Little did I know one day I would marry a baker and see things come full circle....from planting, to harvest, to flour and then into the amazing bread formed by husbands hands. We are currently testing the wheat from our farm to hopefully use for our breads! The day we bake our bread from the wheatfields that my family has farmed for over 100 years will indeed be a happy day. This is one of the many reasons we just love the local farmers markets! Hope to see you all out this saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment